3D Cell Culture
Studies in cell biology over the last decade have shown that adherent cells aggregated in three dimensions can provide more physiologically relevant cellular responses compared to cells cultured on flat plastic- or glassware. Cell aggregation can be accomplished largely by two general methods:
- Prevent cells from adhering to labware such that they self-aggregate into spheroids
- Provide a three dimensional scaffold that cells can use for structure and adhere to
Each method provides challenges - regular media exchange is needed for cell viability and proliferation, and image capture poses problems that aren’t seen in typical 2D applications. BioTek’s MultiFlo™ FX with the AMX™ module is design to automate media exchange and dosing steps in many 3D assays. For spheroid image capture, the small dimensions of the sample requires quantitative microscopy to provide suitable performance in kinetic assays; in scaffolds, the sample thickness may confound results. To meet these challenges, BioTek’s Lionheart™ FX and Cytation™, along with Gen5™ 3.0 offer countless tools for imaging and analyzing 3D culture methods. Objective magnifications from 1.25x to 60x, multiple color channels, four unique modes of detection and processes such as image z-stacking, z-projections, montage mode, and image stitching provide a comprehensive solution for assays run with 3D cell culture methods.
- Automated Media Exchange for Spheroid Cultures Using a Novel MultiFlo™ FX Accessory
- An Automated Walk-Away System to Perform Differentiation of 3D Mesenchymal Stem Cell Spheroids
- Cellular Analysis of 3D Spheroid-Based Tumor Invasion Assays
- The Impact of a 3-Dimensional Human Liver Microtissue Model on Long-term Hepatotoxicity Studies
- Validation of an Image-Based 3D Natural Killer Cell Mediated Cytotoxicity Assay
Learn more about 3D Cell Culture applications - search our Application Notes and technical documentation in Resources.
BioTek’s Visual Abstracts are brief animated presentations describing the Augmented Microscopy workflow of a specific application.
- Combining Automated Liquid Handling, Cellular Microscopy and Magnetic Bioprinting to Create Walk Away 3D Oncology, Stem Cell Differentiation, and Toxicity Procedures - On Demand
- Phenotypic and MoA Analysis of Anti-Metastatic Molecules using 3D Spheroid-Based Tumor Invasion Assays, Kinetic Microplate Detection, and Cellular Microscopy
- Enabling 3D Cell Culture Technologies
- Lionheart FX Automated Microscope
- Lionheart LX Automated Microscope
- BioSpa Live Cell Imaging System
- Cytation 5 Cell Imaging Multi-Mode Reader
- Cytation 1 Cell Imaging Multi-Mode Reader
- MultiFlo FX with AMX